Crowley’s Hybrid Approach
Crowley Imaging Digitizes using QuantumScan;
You Process with QuantumProcess
Exclusive to The Crowley Company, there is a little-known third option for digitizing microform (microfilm, microfiche, aperture cards): outsourcing the digitization and processing the images in-house. We call this the hybrid approach and it consists of two basic steps:
1) The client’s source microform media is delivered to Crowley Imaging to be digitized by service bureau professionals using Mekel Technology MACH-series production microform scanners and Mekel’s custom QuantumScan software.
2) The unprocessed digital images are returned to the client (via a predetermined method of transfer), along with the original material, and the client processes and outputs the images in-house using Mekel Technology QuantumProcess software, which can be downloaded on a standard PC. Quantum software licenses can be purchased on a yearly basis or rented for a period of time specified by the client.
- Requires significantly less labor on the part of the client than would be necessary if a scanner were purchased to perform the digitization in-house
- Can be much more cost-effective than outsourcing the entire project
- Requires less labor on the part of Crowley Imaging, resulting in client savings. This cost savings could be allocated towards the purchase or rental of a QuantumProcess software license and the cost of labor to process the images in-house. Any funds remaining would be the total amount saved by choosing the hybrid approach over outsourcing the entire digitization project.
- Allows for significant control by the client over image enhancement, quality assurance (QA), processing and final image output
- Allows the client to return to the unprocessed digital images for re-processing and re-formatting if necessary
If you’d like to learn more about the hybrid approach, Crowley conversion services or microform scanning equipment options, give us a call at (240) 215-0224 or fill out this form.